BEST WESTERN Garstang Country Hotel and Golf Club recognizes the impact on both the community and the environment and is always looking to continue supporting the community whilst being an environmentally conscious and economically sound business enabling enjoyment for future generations.
The BEST WESTERN Garstang Country Hotel operates with a culture that recognises responsibilities to society to maintain safety and quality in all our operations. We recognise that the hotel’s activities affect many people in the local community.
It is the policy of the hotel to carry out all measures reasonably practicable to seek to meet, exceed or develop all necessary requirements to improve the hotel’s impact on society.
The hotel will comply with all environmental regulations, legislation and approved codes of practice relating to the processes and activities of the Company.
The aims will be wherever possible:
1. Assess the environmental effects of the hotel’s activities in its operation.
2. Reduce the amount of waste produced.
3. Reduce the consumption of raw materials, water and fuels.
4. Reduce and/or limit the production of pollutants to the environment.
5. Limit the noise in and around the site.
6. Support the activities of local organisations and businesses, thus ensuring the hotel continues to have a positive impact on the community both in day to day operations and in the future.
The hotel will strive to enhance environmental awareness and understanding in all employees, suppliers, customers, sub- contractors and the public. Where possible the Company will provide information and assistance to customers on environmental issues arising from its products and services.
The hotel has developed a ‘Green Team’ and part of their responsibility is to maintain a ‘Green management file’ providing evidence and a ‘Green action plan’ to be communicated to guests and staff.
· Where practical waste paper used for scrap, note taking or lighting the hotel fires in the winter.
· Waste cooking oil recycled.
· The hotel’s stationery uses products that are Chlorine free and from sustainably managed sources
· General waste collection companies must adhere to the following waste treatment criteria
· Bedroom TV’s switched off (not on standby)
· Light bulbs where practical replaced with minimum acceptable wattage & low energy light bulbs.
· Only essential lighting, for health and safety purposes are left on when the hotel is closed at night.
· All staff aware that all non essential lighting and heating is to be turned off when not in use.
· Heating is regulated throughout the hotel and in the winter reduced to minimum comfort levels.
· 100% of the hotel windows are double glazed and double glazing is installed as a matter of course on all new build works/refurbishment.
· Endeavour to minimise the use of the kitchen dishwasher, washing by hand where practical. When using the kitchen and bar dishwashers only use them on a full load.
· Boiler is maintained and serviced to ensure maximum effeiciency
· Water consumption is monitored – read at least quarterly, preferably monthly and results utilised
· Green towel and linen replacement policy advertised (we will change linen every 3 days unless requested)
· Hot water tanks have at least 500mm insulation and pipes are sufficiently lagged
· Water efficient washing machines and dishwashers are used which are A rated or better
· All water for the watering of all of the golf course is supplied by borehole water minimising environmental impact
· Cleaning products are chlorine free
· Natural based surface cleaners are used – including use of chemical free methods such as microfibre cloths
· Bottled water supplied from a local source
· Provide up to date local public transport information
· Provide information/brochures on local activities such as walking and cycling
· Provide and promote cycle storage facilities
· Reduce environmental impact of staff travel - Car share or cycling incentives
· Company vehicles are eco friendly - Meet Euro 3 or 4 standards for fuel efficiency
· Use of local suppliers wherever practical, including fresh local produce delivered daily to our kitchen.
· Endeavour to keep windows and doors shut at night during functions to reduce noise impact to local residents
· Prizes regularly given to local charitable organisations.
· Support work experience placements from local schools.
· We actively promote local visitor attractions and facilities
· We are happy to store your bike for free whilst you are staying at the hotel.
· Air hand dryers have been install to compliment and reduce paper towel usage
· Soap dispensers have been installed in the public toilets.
· Continue to remind staff of CSR items via Team Briefs and encourage new ideas.
· Regularly review lighting arrangements to see if improvements can be made
· Endeavour to source suppliers who are willing to take back packaging where appropriate.
· Continue to remind staff to report water leaks/drips
· Review use of Fair trade produce.
· Review recycling arrangements for guests
· Review the possibility of renewable energy supply